INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Nov. 24, 2015)— A family’s pregnant dog is credited for saving their lives after a fire broke out in the home early Tuesday morning.
Officials with the Indianapolis Fire Department said the Terrier Lab mix nudged its owner to alert him of the fire at the base of the bed. IFD says the fire started after a space heater caught nearby combustibles on fire.
The family of three adults and an 8-year-old child were able to escape the home, thanks to their dog Shadow. The family’s other dog, a Pomeranian Chihuahua named Lollipop, also safely escaped. The family’s cat, Christmas, is still unaccounted for.
When crews arrived to the home in the 2600 block of West Thompson Road around 5 a.m., heavy fire was showing. Firefighters worked for an hour, extinguishing hot spots and rotating crews due to the cold weather.
IFD officials say the house had working smoke detectors, but they did not sound when the fire started.
Officials are working with Red Cross to provide shelter for the family.