Man in serious condition after generator starts house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Courtesy: IFD

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (November 8, 2015) — A fire on the near west side of Indianapolis leaves a man in serious condition Saturday night.

Fire crews with the Indianapolis Fire Department responded to the fire in the 800 block of Coffey Street shortly after 11 p.m.

Upon arrival they saw heavy smoke and fire coming from the second floor of the two-story building.  A 65-year-old man was treated for smoke inhalation and transported to Eskenazi Hospital. He was last listed in serious condition.

IFD estimates the damages at $35,000.  According to fire investigators, the fire was started from the improper use of a generator.  The 65-year-old man and another man were apparently working to renovate the unoccupied house. The generator had been running on the second floor of the building all day. They were filling up the generator with gasoline when a fire started and set nearby combustibles on fire. The two men tried to extinguish the blaze, but were unsuccessful and ended up evacuating.

The Indianapolis Fire Department would like to remind residents to keep generators outside of an enclosed space, and substitute gas powered equipment for electric when working indoors.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.