BROOKLIN, NY (November 1, 2015) – A 7-year-old girl who choked on her school lunch last week has died.
According to WPIX, Noelia Echavarria was a second grade student in Brooklyn.
On October 21, a teacher at Echavarria’s school saw her choking on her lunch, so she flagged down an EMT who just happened to be at the school.
By the time the EMT got to her, Echavarria was already unconscious and unresponsive.
She was later declared brain dead at the hospital.
According to WPIX, the family’s attorney David Perecman has several questions surrounding the incident.
“I’m troubled about the amount of time, it took to call 911,” Perecman told WPIX. “With the little information we have, it appears there was a 911 phone call at about 2:30. But that’s the same time that the EMT called 911. And if that’s the case, that means he’s the first person to call 911. And if he’s the first person to call 911, then the school did not.”
The Department of Education says they are investigating the incident.