Man sentenced for causing daughter’s carbon monoxide death
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (October 26, 2015) — A New York man who rigged up a generator in his basement before going out for a date at a casino has been sentenced to 7 1/2 to 15 years in state prison for causing the death of his 6-year-old daughter.
Glenn Collins, of Salina, was sentenced Monday in Onondaga County Court, where a jury took less than an hour September 18 to convict him of manslaughter.
Collins set up a generator in his suburban Syracuse home in late August 2014 even though it wasn’t safe for indoor use. He then headed for Turning Stone Casino and Resort. When he returned the next day, he found his daughter dead from carbon monoxide poisoning and his then-14-year-old son critically injured.
At trial, Collins’ attorney argued it was a tragic accident, not a crime.