Colts’ T.Y. Hilton gets his contract extension
By Mike Chappell
ANDERSON, Ind. (Aug. 12, 2015) – It took three visits and an overnight stay to get the job done, but Indianapolis Colts’ wide receiver T.Y. Hilton got his contract extension Thursday morning.
Worth the wait? The five-year extension, which ties Hilton to the Colts through the 2020 season, is reportedly worth $65 million and includes $39 million in guarantees.
The $13 million average is fourth among NFL receivers. Only Detroit’s Calvin Johnson ($16.2 million), Dallas’ Dez Bryant ($14 million) and Denver’s Demaryius Thomas ($14 million) have heftier averages.
The $39 million in guarantees is second to Johnson’s $48.75 million.
Clearly, the Colts valued their 2012 third-round draft pick.
“It’s a great day for the Indianapolis Colt, T.Y. Hilton and his family,’’ general manager Ryan Grigson said in a team release. “We’re extremely happy as an organization to ensure that T.Y. will continue to be a part of our journey for many years to come.
“His daily excellence on and off the field is a shining example of an individual striving for greatness and what it truly means to be a Colt.’’
After watching the afternoon practice, sharing a 5:30 dinner/meeting with Colts’ officials and spending the night at a local hotel, agent Drew Rosenhaus was able to finalize an extension for his Pro Bowl client.
It was obvious inroads had been made in previous discussions, prompting Rosenhaus and his brother/partner, Jason, to make a third trip to Anderson.
“We’re here,’’ he said. “That’s half the battle.’’
Hilton was named to his first Pro Bowl in 2014 on the strength of 82 receptions that generated 1,345 yards and seven touchdowns He joined Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne as the only players in Colts history with multiple 1,000-yard seasons.
Latest Colts news always at IndySportsCentral.com.