Two Indiana men killed in separate fireworks accidents on holiday weekend

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

 

MARION, Ind. (July 5, 2015) --Two Indiana men died after separate Fourth of July accidents involving fireworks.

Forty-one-year-old James Drake, 41, Marion, was killed Saturday night after suffering extensive trauma to the face in a fireworks accident. He had been checking on a shell that hadn't gone off when expected.

It happened around 10:40 p.m. at at a parking lot in the 3200 block of South Washington Street.

"I think he approached one and it went off and struck him in the face," said Grant County Coroner Chris Butche.

Drake was rushed to Marion General Hospital and died about an hour later. Butche ruled the cause of death accidental due to blunt force trauma to the face.

In northern Indiana, the Elkhart County Sheriff's Department said a 44-year-old man died as the result of a fireworks explosion. Jose Magallanes was found dead Sunday morning after neighbors reported hearing a boom.

Magallanes suffered fatal injuries from the incident. The coroner ruled his death accidental caused by blunt force trauma to the head.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.