Indianapolis father accused of his son’s murder appears in court
Update: Willie Wilson was found not guilty of murder. Read more here.
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Feb. 5, 2014) – The father of a baby who had been reportedly abducted was in court this afternoon, accused of murder.
Willie Wilson was arrested Wednesday after a long investigation. Wilson told authorities two people kidnapped his son, 6-week-old Delano Wilson, on August 27, 2014.
Wilson had stated to detectives he had been pistol whipped and punched in the mouth when it happened, but they did not notice any injuries.
Various teams searched for Delano, but they never found him. He was reported missing not too far from Wilson’s home. Deputy Prosecutor Denise Robinson said they have enough proof to link Wilson to the crime.
“When it comes to a circumstantial case, I likened it to pieces of a puzzle. I don’t know that any one piece is stronger than another, but I think it’s very telling that he’s on video surveillance shortly before the 911 call was made without the child and the fact that a couple hours beforehand he was researching missing children on the internet,” Robinson said.
Robinson said this investigation took some time because they wanted to look at every angle.
“We wanted to check every avenue of (this) to make sure that we weren’t potentially charging an innocent person,” Robinson said.
On Wednesday, an affidavit for probable cause against Wilson was released. In it, it documented various accounts made by Wilson, Delano’s mother (Taniasha Perkins), other family members, and neighbors about the hours before Delano was reportedly abducted.
Court documents revealed a witness saw Wilson leave the woods twice that day and another reported that Wilson and Perkins were seen leaving the woods about two hours before Wilson called 911 to report his son had been abducted.
According to the probable cause, a neighbor heard a disturbance coming from Wilson and Perkins’ home around 3 a.m. on August 27.
Robinson said they will continue looking into what Perkins may know about the crime; whether Perkins will be charged is under investigation.
Detectives do not plan to continue looking for Delano’s body. IMPD Sgt. Kendale Adams released a statement, which explained why there will not be any other searches.
“We consider Delano Wilson to be deceased and have closed the active missing persons search for the child. However, anyone with knowledge about this case is encouraged to contact IMPD or the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office," Adams wrote.
Wilson has been ordered not to contact several witnesses and that does not include Perkins. Robinson did not elaborate why Perkins was not included in that list. Robinson would not provide additional details about possible evidence found inside the couple’s home. According to the probable cause, blood was found in the bathroom and on a baby blanket.
Wilson is scheduled to appear in court in April for a bail review hearing and jury trial. A not guilty plea was entered on Wilson’s behalf this afternoon.