Click here for delays and closings

Carbon monoxide poisoning at east side home sends 8 people to hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS (Jan. 15, 2015) – Eight people ended up at IU Health Methodist Hospital Thursday after a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Emergency crews responded after receiving a 911 call from the east side home in the 1800 block of Mutz Drive early Thursday morning, according to the Indianapolis Fire Department.

Firefighters and medics were initially told that a car may have been left running in the garage, although that didn’t appear to be the case. Tests showed carbon monoxide levels were more than four times the normal level. The home did not have a working carbon monoxide detector.

Of the eight patients, six of them walked out of the house under their own power. One adult was found unconscious upstairs, IFD said. The patients included three children and five adults.

Firefighters turned off the furnace and the water heater. Citizens Energy also shut off gas to the home.

IFD said it was unclear where the carbon monoxide originated from.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.