Fed judge: No more Michigan ballot recount

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Presidential candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton

DETROIT–A federal judge who ordered Michigan to start recounting presidential votes has dropped his decision, effectively ending a second look at ballots statewide.

Judge Mark Goldsmith acted Wednesday night, a day after the state appeals court said the Green Party candidate isn’t eligible to seek a recount of millions of vote cast Nov. 8.

Earlier Wednesday, the Michigan elections board said the recount would end if Goldsmith extinguished his earlier order.

It was Goldsmith’s midnight ruling Monday that started the recount in Michigan. But his order dealt with timing _ not whether a recount was appropriate. More than 20 counties so far are recounting ballots, and some are finished.

The state appeals court said Tuesday that Jill Stein doesn’t qualify as an “aggrieved” candidate under state law because she got only 1 percent of the Michigan vote and can’t win with a recount. Stein is appealing to the Michigan Supreme Court.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s