INDIANAPOLIS -- As you get ready for your feast, firefighters are reminding everyone to be careful while cooking.
Captain Mike Pruitt with Wayne Township Fire says Thanksgiving is the number one day of the year for cooking fires, and some of the major issues happen when people try to deep fry their bird.
Pruitt shared some "do's and don'ts" for safely cooking your turkey.
- Make sure your turkey is thawed out, empty and hand dried
- Wear long sleeves, gloves and closed-toe shoes
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby
- Lower the turkey slowly into the fire
- Put the turkey in water first to measure the amount of oil you’ll need in the fryer before cooking
- Use the fryer inside your home or in your garage
- Overfill the oil
- Let the oil get too hot