Crews respond to early morning apartment fire at retirement community

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. --  A discarded cigarette led to a fire that disrupted the morning for 19 residents at the Crestwood Village Apartment complex on the city's west side.

Wayne Township Fire officials reported that they found smoke coming from the second floor retirement community, which is located just west of North Girls School Road and south of 10th Street, upon arrival. They were called to the scene around 2:15 a.m.

4 Fast Facts

  • Cigarette blamed for early morning fire at west side retirement community
  • 19 people were evacuated from building
  • 9 people were left without a place to live after the fire
  • One resident was rescued from her balcony

While crews were able to contain the fire, heavy smoke forced them to evacuate 19 people from the building. Firefighters rescued one of the residents, an 86-year-old woman, from a balcony using a ladder. The fire was under control in about 20 minutes.

Three residents were treated on scene for smoke inhalation. One person went to an area hospital for a minor medical issue.

Eight units sustained smoke or water damage; the fire destroyed one unit. Nine of the 19 residents evacuated from the building were not able to return to their apartments. Victim assistance has been on the scene helping residents find shelter elsewhere until they are able to go back home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s