BREAKING: Indianapolis councilman Jeff Miller charged with three counts of child molestation

Man taken to hospital after discarded cigarette sparks fire at Irvington apartment

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – One person was taken to the hospital after a fire at an Irvington apartment building.

Fire crews were called just before 7 a.m. to 29 S. Audubon Rd. in response to an apartment fire. Photos from the scene showed smoke coming from the roof of the building.

According to the Indianapolis Fire Department, a discarded cigarette caught fire on a couch inside the apartment. Firefighters found an unconscious man inside. The 57-year-old man told them he heard the smoke alarm and tried to get out of the apartment but collapsed.

Firefighters found him in the hall, carried him outside and began emergency breathing procedures. The man soon began breathing on his own and improved while en route to Eskenazi Hospital.

4 Fast Facts

  • Man goes to hospital after fire at Irvington apartment
  • Man said he heard smoke alarm and collapsed when he tried to escape
  • Firefighters carried him to safety
  • A discarded cigarette started the fire

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s