Update: The Senate rejected all four gun control measures that were up for consideration on Monday. The final vote, with a 47-53 tally, blocked a proposal to bar all gun sales to those individuals on the terror watch list, the second time the proposal went down to defeat after a mass shooting.
California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein's amendment to an annual spending bill would have screened those on a broad government database, and mandated that anyone who was on the list in the previous five years as the subject of a federal terror investigation be subjected to additional review.
Feinstein pushed the proposal in December after a shooting in San Bernardino, and revived it after the horrific shooting at an Orlando nightclub last week by a gunman who pledged allegiance to the terror group ISIS Republicans who opposed the measure argued that many people mistakenly end up on the federal terror watch list, and say the measure was overly broad and would violate individuals' Second Amendment rights.
WASHINGTON – The U.S. Senate is set to vote Monday night on a number of gun control measures in wake of the deadly shooting in Orlando last week.
Both Democrats and Republicans have introduced proposals, although it’s unlikely any significant movement will take place.
The Associated Press reported Monday afternoon Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) rejected a potential compromise negotiated by Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine).
Cornyn told the AP the proposal was problematic because it would immediately prohibit the sale of guns to terrorism suspects who are on the government’s no fly-list and that the appeals process in the bill comes too late.
Cornyn’s proposal, which is also receiving a vote, would alert law enforcement when anyone on a terror watch list attempted to purchase a weapon. It would also allow the government to delay a sale for 72 hours, for a potential court review.
Some lawmakers have voiced concern that legislation would target Americans wrongly placed on a watch list.
Indianapolis native Yaseen Kadura knows firsthand the impact of that.
“When he scanned my passport, I saw something red come up on the screen,” Kadura said in a video produced by the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
The 26-year-old American citizen of Libyan descent believes he was placed on the no-fly list in 2012 after traveling to Libya to work with journalists covering the country’s civil unrest.
What followed, Kadura said, is a story of arrests, searches and interrogations.
“He opened the door, told me to get out with my hands first and keep my hands held high,” Kadura said in the video.
In 2014, Kadura first sued the federal government with help from the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
Soon after his name was removed from the no-fly list.
According to court documents, the federal government said in a letter, “At this time the U.S. Government knows of no reason Mr. Kadura should be unable to fly.”
Kadura’s attorneys argue they believe he still remains on a federal watch list based solely, they argue, on a hunch.
John Pistole, former deputy director at the FBI and now president of Anderson University, said more than a dozen U.S. intelligence agencies recommend names for the list.
Yet specific names and reasons behind a decision remain classified.
“There’s variations on the watch list,” Pistole said. “And so without going into too much detail, there’s got to be some derogatory information about a person that they have ties to extremism as it relates to terrorism to get on the watch list.”
Kadura is now part of another class-action lawsuit filed in April by the Council on American-Islamic Relations involving thousands of Muslim Americans who say they’ve been wrongly placed on the terror watch list.