The Latest: Occupier says he’s ‘waiting for our miracle’
BURNS, Ore. (January 30, 2016) — The latest on an armed group that took over buildings at a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon (all times local):
A husband and wife who are among the four holdout occupiers at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge say in a speakerphone conversation with a man who appears to be an attorney that was broadcast on YouTube that they are hoping for a miraculous end to the standoff with federal authorities.
Sean Anderson, who is at the site with his wife, Sandy, and two others, says: “We’re waiting for our miracle. If this doesn’t wake America up, I don’t know what will.”
Sean Anderson, who is from Riggins, Idaho, goes on to say that he and the other occupiers are heroes. “Think about the Bible and all the heroes came from the bottom. We were just four drunks, we don’t have any military experience, and now we’re the shining stars,” he said.
At one point in the broadcast, Sandy Anderson says: “It’s either all of us out or all of us dead.”
Sean Anderson said he and the others want authorities to give them immunity from prosecution before they will leave the site. He asks the lawyer to “start making phone calls and get us amnesty.”
Ammon Bundy says he’s a federalist who loves this country and its people very much.
The leader of the armed occupation at an Oregon wildlife refuge made a brief statement Friday before a U.S. magistrate judge denied him pre-trial release. The judge considered the Idaho resident unlikely to follow her orders and return to Oregon for future court appearances.
Bundy told the judge that he respects her authority and would come back. He said he has no interest in returning to the refuge, saying “my only desire is to be home with family and take care of my wife and children.”
Bundy reiterated his call for the remaining holdout to go home, saying the occupation was about a message and “never about a standoff.”
Judge Stacie Beckerman said she rejects any argument that the occupation was a peaceful operation based on freedom of speech.
The only woman arrested so far in the standoff at an Oregon wildlife refuge will be allowed to go home while her case makes its way through the court system.
But U.S. Magistrate Judge Stacie Beckerman says that won’t happen until after the armed occupation ends. The judge says she doesn’t want Shawna Cox to act on an impulse and return to the refuge.
Beckerman also said Joseph O’Shaughnessy doesn’t have to remain in custody, noting that he didn’t spend his nights at the refuge. Federal prosecutors objected, however, and he’ll stay in jail pending a Tuesday hearing.
Beckerman said she might also release citizen journalist Peter Santilli. But she said it’s a close call and wasn’t ready to make an immediate decision.
The other occupiers, whom Beckerman considered key players, were denied pre-trial release.
A federal judge says she won’t release from jail three of the main figures behind an armed standoff at an Oregon wildlife refuge.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Stacie Beckerman said at court hearings Friday for group leader Ammon Bundy, his brother Ryan Bundy and Ryan Payne that they pose a danger to the community and she’s concerned they won’t follow orders to return to Oregon for criminal proceedings.
She says she would release people only if the standoff ends. Four holdouts still are occupying Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
Ammon Bundy’s lawyer, Lissa Casey, says her client is not aligned with those remaining at the refuge and wants to go back to his family in Idaho.
Casey said of Bundy: “He is done in Harney County; his message has been sent.”
Federal prosecutors say the main figures behind an armed standoff at an Oregon wildlife refuge pose a danger to the community and should not be released from jail.
Group leader Ammon Bundy and others are appearing Friday in federal court in Portland to answer charges that they used force or intimidation to prevent government employees from carrying out their duties at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
In a court filing Friday, prosecutors say Bundy, his brother Ryan Bundy and others “have long been associated with armed conflicts with the federal government and have repeatedly rejected the authority of the federal government, making them unsuitable for court-ordered supervision.”
They cite their participation Ammon Bundy and others took part in the 2014 armed standoff with the government over grazing rights led by the Bundys’ father, Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy.
Prosecutors said they would consider releasing defendant Shawna Cox before trial, but only after the occupation ends.
The last few occupiers of an Oregon wildlife refuge have posted another video in which they say they want pardons for everyone involved in the nearly monthlong standoff.
Four people remain at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. In a video posted Friday to the YouTube channel “DefendYourBase,” which the group has been using to give live updates, the occupiers said they were in contact with the FBI.
A speaker believed to be David Fry said he asked the FBI whether it was possible to “get out of here without charges,” but “they keep saying that’s not possible.”
He asks “why can’t they pardon all of us?” and says their demand is reprieves for all involved.
Eleven people have been arrested, and a judge has said none of them will be released from jail until the standoff ends.
Ammon Bundy and his armed followers made ample use of social media while occupying an Oregon wildlife refuge, and federal officials are using those posts, videos and photos to build the case against them.
Two criminal complaints show that federal authorities have carefully scrutinized the group’s social media postings and video interviews.
A day after the Jan. 2 occupation began, Bundy posted a video saying the group planned to stay for several years and calling on “people to come out here and stand” and “we need you to bring your arms.”
Another defendant, Jon Ritzheimer, posted a video Jan. 4 saying he was “100 percent willing to lay my life down.”
Bundy and other main figures in the standoff face their second court appearance Friday. A total of 11 people have been charged.
Four holdouts are still occupying Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
The FBI says four holdouts still are occupying a national wildlife preserve in southeast Oregon.
Bureau spokeswoman Beth Anne Steele said “nothing at all” happened overnight at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, and she wouldn’t discuss any strategic decisions planned for Friday.
The holdouts have been frequently posting to the YouTube channel “DefendYourBase” during the nearly four-week-old standoff but have not issued a video update since Thursday morning.
The three men and one woman have refused to leave without assurances they won’t be arrested.
Authorities have apprehended 11 other activists, including group leader Ammon Bundy, and have fatally shot another during a traffic stop.
The group came to Oregon to protest federal land restrictions and the prison sentences of two local ranchers convicted of setting fires.
A federal judge says she will not release any of the people arrested in the standoff at an Oregon wildlife refuge while the occupation continues.
The Oregonian (http://bit.ly/1m0S2Wd ) reports U.S. Magistrate Judge Stacie F. Beckerman made the comments Thursday during an initial court appearance in Portland for three of the 11 people arrested. The FBI said four people remained at the site late Thursday.
The hearing came shortly after the group’s leader, Ammon Bundy, repeated his call for the holdouts to go home. Bundy was arrested Tuesday in a confrontation with law enforcement that left one of the occupiers dead.
Bundy and several of the other occupiers have another federal court hearing scheduled for Friday afternoon.