In May, 2017, the teen entered a plea to armed robbery. In July, he was sentenced to seven years, all suspended to probation except for time served.
MUNCIE, Ind. (November 11, 2015) - A Muncie teenager is under arrest again, after police say he escaped a juvenile youth center and went on an armed robbery spree.
Police said the 16-year-old was previously convicted of two armed robbery cases and court ordered to remain at The Youth Opportunity Center. The teen escaped in June.
Within just a few days in June, police said the teen went on a crime spree, robbing at least three area convenience stores at gun point. The robberies were captured on surveillance video and police said they were violent and dangerous.
Police said the teen brandished a gun and told employees that he would use the gun if they did not "hurry up." Police said the teen pointed the gun in the direction of the employees.
At one location, police said the clerk fought back and wrestled with the teen, who was still holding a handgun.
“Could have been him getting shot. Could have been the clerk. A girl just walked into the store and got knocked over during the wrestling match. She didn’t know what was going on when she came in," explained Muncie Police Detective Kyle Monroe.
On Monday, the teen was caught by police. He remains at The Delaware County Juvenile Detention Center in a secure facility. Police said catching the teen was their top priority.
“Anybody could’ve gotten shot during that time. He’s nervous. He’s 16. Who knows what he’s gonna do," Monroe said.
The teenager will likely be charged as an adult this week and moved to county jail. Police are still looking into if he's connected to any other robberies in the area.