INDIANAPOLIS (November 2, 2015) – Firefighters say a 14-year-old boy is in critical condition after he was pulled from a mobile home fire on Indy’s west side.
Crews were called to the 8000 block of West Washington Street just after 4:30 a.m. Monday. Firefighters say they saw flames coming from the home when they arrived.
Neighbors say they woke up to see the flames and told firefighters the boy, a student at Wayne Township Schools, may be inside the home.
"It was just chaos," said next door neighbor Christopher Parker.
"They did CPR on him and finally got him out of here to Riley Hospital. I say a prayer for the family and hopefully he pulls through," Parker said.
Wayne Township Fire Captain Mike Pruitt says the teen was the only person inside, however, a dog inside the home did not make it out.
Pruitt says there were no working smoke detectors. The fire was ruled accidental and caused by careless smoking. Pruitt believes a discarded cigarette is what started the fire.