Bike donation program allows inmates to give back
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (October 1, 2015) – Starting Thursday, Hoosiers can donate bikes that are no longer used, all for a great cause in central Indiana.
The program is a unique partnership between Bicycle Garage Indy, Fresh Thyme Farmers Markets and the Indiana Department of Correction.
It works by accepting bike donations from the community for the group called Shifting Gears.
Each bike is refurbished by inmates at the Putnamville Correctional Facility and then donated to others in need.
“For the adults who get them it’s a Godsend, really, for basic transportation for them,” said Connie Szabo Schmucker with Bicycle Garage Indy. “Usually it’s something that they need to be able to get to work, to get to their appointments, to get to job training, and that we’ve also had stories about that too, it’s really heartening.”
Since the program started in 2006, nearly 4000 bikes have been donated.
But right now, the demand for bikes is more than the number available.
Fresh Thyme Farmers Market Bicycle Drives:
- Thursday, October 1, 3-7 p.m., 4225 E. 82nd St, Indianapolis
- Thursday, Oct. 8, 3-7 p.m., 11481 E. 116th St., Fishers
- Thursday, Oct. 15, 3-7 p.m., 8750 US Hwy 31, Indianapolis
Bikes can also be donated during business hours at Bicycle Garage Indy locations:
- Bicycle Garage Indy North: 4340 E. 82nd St., Indianapolis, 317-842-4140
- Bicycle Garage Indy South: 997 E. County Line Rd., Greenwood, 317-885-7194
- Bicycle Garage Indy Downtown, 242 E. Market St., Indianapolis, 317-612-3099
Click here for additional information.