Conventions questioning returning to Indiana in wake of RFRA

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (March 29, 2015) –Visit Indy will sit down this week with Gen Con leaders to discuss the impacts of the Religious Freedom Law.

This is a routine meeting that was already scheduled ahead of the city’s largest convention that’s set for July.

But, this could also be an opportunity for Gen Con organizers to talk with local leaders about their concerns in person.

Gen Con released a statement speaking out against the law, even sending a letter to its members.

The gaming convention has a contract with the city of Indianapolis through 2020 but says the new law has them considering leaving town.

Visit Indy says other conventions have echoed Gen Con’s concerns.

“As of now we’ve heard from 6 to 8 conventions who are concerned. They have questions,” Chris Gahl with Visit Indy said. “They’re not ready to cancel their meetings in Indianapolis but certainly they’re questioning will their attendees still be welcome so we’ve gone into crisis mode reassuring them yes, of course Hoosier hospitality will continue.”

Gen Con brought in 50,000 visitors last year and pumped more than 50 Million dollars into the local economy.

Gen Con is also the largest tabletop-game focused convention in North America by both attendance and number of events to attendees.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s