Father sues over baby’s remains found at Gary funeral home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GARY, Ind. (March 24, 2015) — The father of a stillborn baby has filed a lawsuit against the operators of a Gary funeral home where his son’s remains had been stored for years without being buried.

The lawsuit from Wyatt Puryear was filed Friday against former and current operators of Smith, Bizzell and Warner and Son Funeral Home. The remains of his son and another baby were found inside boxes above ceiling tiles.

A funeral home spokesman has said the remains were placed there by an employee in September and were taken down the same day. Puryear thought his son had been buried.

A statement from Walker Law Group on behalf of the funeral home’s current owners says there’s no legal connection between them and former owners who didn’t bury Puryear’s son, who was delivered stillborn in 1996.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s