Report: BMV officials knew about overcharges for several years

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS (March 22, 2015) – An investigation by our news-gathering partners at the Indianapolis Star has revealed former top officials at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles knew for several years they were likely overcharging Hoosiers.

Emails and internal documents obtained by the Star show a report as early as 2011 questioning dozens of fees and suspected overcharges.

A class action lawsuit was filed two years later in 2013.

“It took us a long time to get here, it’s not going to be solved overnight,” Kent Abernathy said in an interview last month, when he took over the BMV. “People are trying to put a time-frame on it and stuff like that. My initial impression, folks I’m talking to and folks that have been viewing it for a while, it leads me to believe it’s been going on for years, decades literally over multiple administrations. It’s been building over time and now it’s kind of reached a critical mass.”

To date more than $60 million is being returned to Hoosier taxpayers.

Both Gov. Mike Pence and Abernathy have warned more overcharges could be revealed as part of an ongoing audit.

“I think we have to build some trust and confidence back, and we need to demonstrate to folks we’re doing the right thing,” Abernathy said.

Abernathy said the internal audit should be complete in May.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s