Central Indiana volunteer firefighter watches his own house burn as he responds to fire
SWAYZEE, Ind (March. 12, 2015)– A Grant County firefighter was dispatched to a structure fire at his own house. James Trusty was forced to sit-back and watch as his Swayzee home burned.
Trusty is a volunteer with the Swayzee Fire Department. He also works as a volunteer EMT. He’s been thrown into just about every emergency situation you can think of–until last week.
“When I got here there was still visible flames,” said Trusty.
The first responder and his wife Shawnna have a long road ahead, and they find themselves in an unfamiliar position.
“I’m supposed to be here helping people and now they have to come help me,” said Trusty.
Swayzee firefighters aren’t allowed to battle fires on their own homes, so Trusty was forced to watch his memories burn away.
“It’s burning and there’s literally nothing I can do. I know how to put out fires but I just wan’t allowed to,” said Trusty.
The Trusty’s home is a total loss. Investigators say the fire was electrical in nature. The Trusty’s now find meaning in the smaller things.
“People stopping and just giving me a hug and asking if they can help,” said Shawnna Trusty.
Family friends have started collecting clothes and set up a GoFundMe account for donations.
“I love Shawnna and James, I would do anything for them especially when something horrible like this happens,” said Melissa Bennett, a family friend.