Father of missing baby Delano Wilson faces murder charge
Update: Willie Wilson was found not guilty of murder. Read more here.
INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 4, 2015) - After months of no new developments in the case of missing baby Delano Wilson, prosecutors filed a murder charge against his father, Willie Wilson.
The IMPD violent crime unit took Wilson into custody Wednesday afternoon.
Missing Persons detectives and the Marion County Prosecutor's Office have prepared a probable cause affidavit to charge Wilson despite the absence of a body. Such a case would be based on circumstantial evidence, such as inconsistent statements from Wilson, cooperation from another witness or evidence seized during the search.
Indianapolis Metropolitan police investigated the disappearance of the 6-week-old child, which was reported on Wednesday, August 27, 2014. The baby's father told police a man and a woman approached him in an alley in the 1400 block of Henry Street, robbed him and then took the baby. The case triggered an Amber Alert.
In his report to police, Wilson claimed that he had been punched in the mouth and pistol-whipped by one of the robbers who abducted his infant. No visible injuries to Wilson’s face or mouth were observed by officers on the day of the reported abduction.
The probable cause affidavit alleges that there were internet searches related to child abductions missing infants conducted on a phone in Wilson’s possession and made prior to the reported abduction.
On August 27, search and rescue dogs were used to conduct a search for Delano Wilson. The dogs tracked Delano’s scent to a wooded area bordered by South Harding Street, Oliver Street and CSX railroad tracks. In a second search on August 28, using a scent sample from Willie Wilson’s clothing, search dogs tracked to the same wooded area. The baby was never found.
A day after Delano disappeared, Taniasha Perkins, the child's mother and Wilson's girlfriend, spoke to the media and made an impassioned plea for her son's safe return. Police also released audio from Wilson's 911 call in which he said, "All I want is my son. I am begging, please search. I love my son."
The Amber Alert was cancelled on August 29 at the request of IMPD.
The search for baby Delano went on for several weeks, although police never found him. On Sept. 1, police served a search warrant at the home of the boy's parents. Police questioned Perkins at the home and eventually took her away in a police car. She was not handcuffed.
Days later, investigators searched Little Eagle Creek and a nearby wooded area on the west side. The FBI also became involved in the investigation. Two federal agents questioned the family.
The Ten Point Coalition held a faith walk on Sept. 5 encouraging the community to come together and urging anyone with information about the case to step forward. Delano's family attended the event.
On Sept. 27, a month after the baby disappeared, his family released sketches of the suspects who allegedly took Delano in hopes of generating more tips in the case.
After that, the case remained quiet. Few updates were provided in the months to follow although police said the investigation remained open.
Last month, Wilson appeared in court in an unrelated case. He said he thinks about his son all the time.